Happiness Requires A Sense Of Purpose
Sense Of Purpose
If you can develop a sense of purpose in your life you are well on your way to being confident, happy and secure. You can develop a sense of purpose in any area of your life. You can have a sense of purpose about your family, your career, or helping others. A sense of purpose gives you a feeling that you are making a difference in the world.
If you have that sense about yourself you feel good when you get out of bed. You have a reason for getting up in the morning and you feel like you have accomplished something at the end of the day. It helps you feel more confident and happy in your life and in your dealings with others.
When we are young we have no problem developing a sense of purpose in life. There are many new things to achieve and experience as we are growing into adulthood. There are exams to take and careers to begin. There is the purpose of meeting that special person that we intend to spend the rest of our lives with. There are challenges to meet with each new day.
As we age it can be harder for us to keep that sense that we had when we were younger. We may be established in a job with no room for further advancement. We may be with a partner that we have had for some length of time. We may develop the feeling that we are stuck in a rut and there is nothing left to accomplish. We may get the feeling that life is passing us by.
In reality, none of these things are true. They are simply ways our egos keep us rooted in the familiar so that we don’t have to take any risk. Our egos hold us back by allowing us to believe that there are no new roads to take and no new challenges worth exploring.
Ways To Get Your Sense Of Purpose Back
There are many ways you can get out and get that sense back and create a happy and fulfilling life. The main thing you have to do is put in a little effort. Here are a few ways to regain a sense of purpose in your life if you have gotten into a rut.
- Do something you have always wanted to do. Take up a new hobby or challenge yourself. In my 40s I had always wanted to learn to fly but had never had the opportunity. So I visited a flight school and went about learning to fly. You don’t have to go to that extreme. On the other hand, don’t limit yourself. Just get out there and do it.
- Join a social club or another activity club. Get together with others to swap stories and ideas. You never know what great friends you might make or how others might influence you to try a new direction in life.
- Take up a sport like bowling or tennis. As you work to master the game you will also get the opportunity to meet other interesting people.
- Volunteer for a cause you are passionate about. Volunteering your time for something you love can give you a sense of helping to make a difference in someone’s life. It can give you a sense of accomplishment and give you a warm feeling to know you are making a difference.
- Get out and take a walk and say hello to strangers. You may be surprised at the wonderful people you meet. Some of them may even become friends that you never would have met if you hadn’t gotten out of the house and made an effort.
- If you are single get out and work on dating again. These days you can meet interesting people to date by using one of the online dating sites or apps for your phone. Meeting new people can help you have new experiences and also may lead to a long term relationship if you desire.
Developing a sense of purpose can lead you to find happiness in your life. Happiness many times depends on you finding something you truly believe in and giving it the effort and attention it deserves. As you see your achievements, both large and small, you will get a sense of satisfaction from them.
Please share some of your ideas with the community in the comments section. Let us hear how you were able to develop a sense of purpose in your life.